Summer Home Maintenance in Calgary
With summer in full swing it’s an optimal time to ensure that your Calgary home is well-maintained. Staying on top of summer home maintenance in Calgary helps improve the comfort and aesthetics of your property. More importantly though, it prevents potential issues that can arise due to the change in weather conditions. Below are 15 areas for you to consider around your home that provides comprehensive coverage of essential tasks to keep your property in excellent condition.
Inspecting and Cleaning Gutters
- Gutters play a crucial role in directing rainwater away from your home, preventing water damage to the foundation, walls, and roof. Start your summer home maintenance routine by inspecting and cleaning the gutters. Remove any debris, leaves, or twigs that may have accumulated over time. Ensure that the gutters are securely fastened and free of leaks. Properly functioning gutters will help protect your home during summer storms.
Assessing and Cleaning the Roof
- Inspecting and maintaining your roof is vital for protecting your home from water damage and maintaining its structural integrity. Check for any missing, damaged, or loose shingles. Clear debris, such as leaves or branches, that may have accumulated on the roof. If these things are on your roof now they will end up in your gutters later. Consider hiring a professional roofing contractor for a thorough inspection and make repairs if necessary.
Inspecting and Maintaining Exterior Home Surfaces
- Inspect the exterior surfaces of your home, including the siding, stucco, brick, or paint. Look for any signs of damage, such as cracks, peeling, or fading. Calgary is home to a number of woodpecker species, and for homeowners this can be a nuisance. If you have stucco you should take a close look for small holes along the exterior. These birds may have started to dig into the wall. If you find evidence of this try to fill the holes as soon as possible.
Repair or repaint as necessary to protect the exterior from the elements and maintain its visual appeal. Regular maintenance of the exterior surfaces enhances the overall curb appeal of your home.
Maintaining landscaping and gardens
- Summer is the time when your landscape and garden are in full bloom. Proper maintenance is essential to keep them looking their best. Trim overgrown trees and shrubs, mow the lawn regularly, and water the plants adequately. Mulch the garden beds to retain moisture and prevent weed growth. Regularly inspect and address any pest issues to ensure a vibrant and healthy landscape.
Checking on and Maintaining your Homes Air Conditioning System
- With the scorching summer temperatures in Calgary, it’s essential to have a well-functioning air conditioning system. Schedule a professional inspection and maintenance for your AC unit to ensure optimal performance. Clean or replace filters regularly to improve indoor air quality and energy efficiency. Additionally, consider installing a programmable thermostat to regulate temperature and save on energy costs.
Unfortunately, I myself was caught in the scorching summer heat without air conditioning when my capacitor failed. Check out this quick video highlighting how I made the repair for only $40:
Evaluating and Sealing Windows and Doors
- Inspect all windows and doors for any gaps, cracks, or damaged weatherstripping. Properly sealed windows and doors help improve energy efficiency and keep your home comfortable during hot summer days. Apply caulk or weatherstripping where needed to prevent drafts and air leaks. Consider installing window films or blinds to reduce heat gain from direct sunlight.
Testing and Maintaining your Irrigation System
- A well-functioning irrigation system is essential for maintaining a lush and healthy lawn. Test the sprinklers and adjust them for even water distribution. Inspect the irrigation lines for leaks or clogs. Clear any debris or vegetation obstructing the sprinklers. Regularly maintain and monitor your irrigation system to ensure adequate water supply without wastage. Also, have a look at your water meter – if it’s spinning while the water is off then your irrigation system may have a leak.
Assessing and Maintaining your Pool
- If you’re lucky enough to have a pool, then proper maintenance is vital for a safe and enjoyable swimming experience. If not, you’re also in luck as that’s one less maintenance item this summer! Check the water chemistry regularly and balance the pH levels. Clean the pool filters and remove debris from the pool. Ensure that the pool pump and other equipment are functioning correctly. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for pool maintenance and consider hiring a professional if needed.
Outdoor Furniture Maintenance
- Outdoor furniture provides a comfortable space to relax and enjoy the summer weather. Inspect your outdoor furniture for any signs of wear, damage, or rust. Clean the furniture thoroughly and apply a protective sealant if needed. Ensure that cushions and upholstery are in good condition. Properly maintained outdoor furniture will extend its lifespan and enhance your outdoor living experience.
Maintaining your Patio or Deck
- The deck or patio is a popular gathering spot during the summer months. Inspect the deck or patio for any loose boards, nails, or signs of rot. Clean the surface thoroughly and reapply a protective stain or sealant if necessary. It’s recommended to do so every 5 years. Consider power washing for a deep clean. Regular maintenance of the deck or patio ensures its longevity and safety for outdoor activities.
Summer BBQ Maintenance
- We talked about it in our Spring Maintenance blog, so here we are again. Summer is synonymous with outdoor grilling. Chances are you’ve been putting in some hours on the BBQ, so let’s give it the love it deserves. Check for any damaged parts, clean the grates, and ensure proper gas or charcoal supply. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for maintenance and safety guidelines. A well-maintained BBQ grill will help you get the most out of these summer months. Also, be sure to check out our BBQ safety guide on the resources page.
Clean and Declutter the Garage
- Summer can be a great time to declutter and organize your garage. That is as long as you keep an eye on the weather and avoid leaving the vehicles out in the hail! Take this time to sort through your belongings, discard or donate items you no longer need, and organize the remaining items. Clean the garage thoroughly, paying attention to dust and cobwebs. Consider installing storage solutions to maximize space and keep your garage tidy and functional.
Evaluating and Enhancing Home Security
- Even though we’re enjoying the summer months, let’s not overlook home security. Summer comes with vacations, and this means increased time away from our homes. Evaluate your home security measures and make necessary enhancements. Install outdoor lighting, secure windows and doors with robust locks, and consider a security system or surveillance cameras for added protection. Remember to lock all doors and windows when leaving the house, even for a short period.
Preventing Pest Infestations
- Speaking of unwanted intruders, along with summer comes an increased risk of pest infestations. Take preventive measures to keep pests at bay. Seal cracks and openings around the house, especially near utility entry points. Porches and decks often make good nesting grounds. Add soil where you can to help prevent easy access to the underside of these areas. Keep the kitchen clean, store food properly, and dispose of garbage regularly. Trim branches and vegetation near the house to prevent easy access for pests. If necessary, consult a professional pest control service for effective pest management and removal.
Evaluating Safety Equipment
- Lastly, review and update the safety equipment in your home where necessary. Check smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are in working order. Test fire extinguishers and replace them if expired. Refresh your knowledge of emergency exits and evacuation plans. Conduct a safety inspection to identify any potential hazards and address them promptly.
Wrapping up your summer time maintenance
- Summer home maintenance in Calgary is key to caring for your property. Doing so ensures a comfortable living environment during the warmer months. By following the outlined tasks and taking a proactive approach, you can protect your home from potential issues and enhance its overall condition. Remember to prioritize safety and seek professional assistance when necessary.
Q1: How often should I clean my gutters during the summer?
A: It is recommended to clean your gutters at least twice during the summer season, ideally before and after heavy rainfalls.
Q2: Can I maintain my air conditioning system on my own?
A: While you can clean or replace the filters, it is advisable to hire a professional for a comprehensive inspection and maintenance of your air conditioning system. Something along the lines of the old adage “do what I say, not what I do” may apply here.
Q3: How frequently should I water my lawn and garden in the summer?
A: The frequency of watering depends on factors such as rainfall, soil type, and plant requirements. Generally, it’s best to water deeply but infrequently to encourage deep root growth.
Q4: Is it necessary to seal windows and doors in the summer?
A: Yes, sealing windows and doors helps improve energy efficiency by preventing cool air from escaping and warm air from entering your home. Most of us grew up hearing our parents exclaim “we’re not paying to heat the outside” when a door was left open in the winter. Well, same goes for summer if you have air conditioning. Any air leaks around your windows and doors are prone to worsening the efficiency of your home in the summer.
Q5: Can I maintain my pool by myself?
A: Basic pool maintenance can be done by homeowners, and it’s encouraged that you’re familiar with performing routine tasks. However, it is recommended to consult a professional for more complex tasks and regular inspections.
Before you go – be sure to check out our feature on Feedspot! I’m proud to be the Calgary Home Inspector listed amongst their top 35 home inspection blogs!